Medicare Supplement Plan F

Medicare Supplement Plan F leaves you with no out-of-pocket expenses because it covers all deductibles, copays, and coinsurance from Original Medicare Parts A and B. However, just like Medicare Supplement Plan C, you are no longer allowed to apply for Plan F unless you fit in with the specific guidelines. As of January 1, 2020, you will no longer be eligible for Plan F if you were not already grandfathered in with a company that offers that plan. This is due to Congress issuing the MACRA law. The MACRA law states Medicare Supplement plans can no longer cover Part B deductibles, which is only covered by Plans C and F. However, if you were eligible before January 1, 2020, then you can still apply for Plan F if a company offers it.

Play Video

Coverage for Plan F

Medicare Supplement Plan F covers all deductibles, copays, and coinsurance, making it the most comprehensive plan compared to the rest of the Medicare Supplement plans.

  • Part A deductible
  • Coinsurance payments (Medicare Part A) for inpatient hospital care up to an additional year after the Medicare benefits have been used up
  • Part B deductible and excess charges
  • Copayment or coinsurance expenses for Medicare Part B
  • First three pints of blood used in a medical procedure
  • Skilled nursing facility care coinsurance
  • 80% of foreign travel emergency expenses but only up to plan limits

What is not covered by Plan F?

If Original Medicare pays for the services first, then Medicare Supplement Plan F will also pay for its portion. Usually, Original Medicare will cover up to 80% of services, and without a supplement plan, you would be stuck with the other 20% coming out-of-pocket. However, Plan F will take care of that 20% for you. If Original Medicare does NOT pay for the services first, then Plan F will not pay.

It should also be noted that even though Original Medicare will cover some medications given to you during the circumstance of being admitted into the hospital, the medications you take at home will not be covered. Supplement plans only pay secondary to Original Medicare Parts A and B. Supplement plans do not pay secondary to Medicare Part D, which helps cover prescriptions.

Get Your Free Medicare Quote


Have more questions?

Let us help you!

If you have any questions or concerns about Medicare Supplement Plan F and your eligibility, give us a call at 877-885-3484 or send us an email at [email protected]. Our mission is to provide you with the help you need to find affordable supplements to protect you from out-of-pocket costs and provide added benefits.