Lets talk about safety reminders for seniors. As you age, you may realize that you are not as cautious about safety as you used to be. This is normal and you shouldn’t really blame yourself. As we grow older our minds age too and things that may have seemed obvious in the past may require a bit of effort now that you are retired. If you have been worried about your safety there are certain things that you can do to ensure that you are safe in your home and even outside.
Make a List to Start
You can start by making a list of the things that you are worried about. Do you worry that the stairs aren’t safe? That your locks may not be sufficient? That your floors may be slippery? If you have all these things listed down you will be able to take of them one after another and you will not have to worry about safety.
Five Other Things You Can Do
Here are five other things you can do:
- If you have a relative, such as a child or a sibling who visits from time to time, you should talk to them about your concerns. Let them know how you would like your home safety improved. Then, discuss how you can go through the steps to make it happen.
- Have a buddy system, or at least someone who checks in on you every day or two. One of the most common problems for seniors is falling down, and they can stay on the ground for many hours until someone finds them. If you have someone who checks on you, it helps because they will be know that things aren’t okay before very long and they will get help.
- You should ask someone to organize your medication for you. If there is no one at home to do it for you talk to your doctor or nurse and they will provide you with a pill box that will help you keep track of your medications.
- If you worry about forgetfulness, you should use your phone to set up reminders. Make them detailed so that when the alert goes off you know exactly what you are supposed to do.
- Make sure that floors are safe for you to walk on. You can have them textured. You should also remove rugs and carpets that can lead to falls.
These are just a few examples of safety reminders for seniors. If you need help with your Medicare options, we can help! Call 877-88KEITH.